Thursday, March 19, 2020

exploring filters

Filters are a big thing in post-production, notably in crime films. And to get this out of the way before my editing process, here are my thoughts.
To make my movie authentic, filters are very important, as they can help portray an environment, like the city of New York, which can help stay true to the atmosphere and the overall mood of the criminal world. A (neo) / noir-like filter can support the gloomy, darkness and dirtiness I'm trying to depict in the film.

Steve Buscemi and Harvey Keitel in Reservoir Dogs (1992)

Some examples include:
Sergey Bodrov in Brat (1997)Scorcese's Taxi Driver, Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs and my main inspiration, Brother 1. How am I going to do this? Well, thanks to a blog posted on this very question, "To get a [neo noir] effect, [I would need to] shoot a street scene at night, using a tripod, a fast prime lens with the aperture open fully, shoot in RAW, use the histogram in the camera to expose to the left (very slight underexposure) to avoid clipping the highlights. Then open Photoshop, and in Adobe Camera, adjust the white balance as necessary, recover the highlights, and boost the shadows, slightly increase the exposure, add some clarity, add a bit of vignetting, and apply some noise reduction."

(Edit: Another good example, I just watched Ozark Season 3 and well... I forgot it has the same stylish, dark, noir-like feel I'm going for.)

No comments:

Post a Comment